This is a single-origin USDA/European Union Certified Organic cacao from what could be called ground-zero of Arriba cacao from the Los Ríos Province of Ecuador. This is a national fine flavored cocoa with unique and exceptional physical and organoleptic characteristics from its origin, ideal for developing high-quality products. The organoleptic characteristics of these organic beans are described as: cocoa without bitterness, with strong floral flavor profile and nuts. It has aromatic notes of roses and jasmine with nuts and citrus verbena.
We Have Selected this Single-Origin Arriba Cacao from Los Ríos, Ecuador as Part of Our First Export in March 2018 for the Following Reasons
- Complex organoleptic characteristics: cocoa without bitterness, with strong floral flavor profile and nuts. It has aromatic notes of roses and jasmine with nuts and citrus verbena,
- Strong production levels with medium harvests during January, February, March, April, August & September with harvests peaking in October, November & December,
- Varietal purity ≥ 90% "Arriba" Cocoa,
- USDA/EU Certified Organic, and
- ICEA Certified—Institute for Ethical and Environmental Certification
Cacao & Farm Data
Location: Los Ríos Province, Ecuador
Location: Los Ríos, Ecuador
Origin: Single Origin
Provenance: 100% Los Rios (Río Arriba)
Varietal purity: ≥ 90% "Arriba" Cocoa
Certifications: USDA/EU Certified Organic, ICEA Certified, Verified RAVO Organoleptic characteristics: Cocoa without bitterness, with strong floral flavor profile and nuts. It has aromatic notes of roses and jasmine with nuts and citrus verbena
Acreage: The group of 20 small producers from the Province of Los Ríos manage their orchards traditionally without the use of agrochemicals with an average of 21.6 hectares making 432 aceres.
Annual production: At 9.65 quintals (100# bags) per hectare, this group produces 4,168 quintals per year—about 189 metric tonnes
Harvests: Medium harvests during January, February, March, April, August & September with harvests peaking in October, November & December
Availability: Generally available throughout the year
Gate price for 100 pounds: $96.00
Gate price at other nearby farms: Unknown
Fermentation: ≥ 80%
Humidity: ≤ 7%
Social/Environment component: In aggregate the following measures from 2015 to 2016 have seen an improvement in their score from 65% to 76.80% and in all categories have seen improvement or have remained the same: Socio-environmental management systems, conservation of ecosystems, management of agro-productive records, conservation of water resources, good living conditions, health and occupational safety, land tenure and organic status, integrated management of crops, soil management and conservation, and management of integrated waste.
SHIPMENT DETAILSOur initial shipment of this organic single-origin cacao will be 1000 pounds and is expected to be in our Missouri warehouse in March 2018. The shipment will be shared with an additional 1000 pounds of traditional cacao (soon-to-be-certified organic) in the same proportions.
- 10% of shipment: cacao butter from the same single origin—packages of 5 lbs each (approx. 2.5 Kilos)
- 45% of shipment: cacao beans, sun-dried, raw—packages of 5 lbs each (approx. 2.5 Kilos)
- 45% of shipment: cacao nibs, sun-dried and roasted—packages of 5 lbs each (approx. 2.5 Kilos)